Imagine you are the director of FEMA using NIMS when this disaster occurs.
- Review the steps you would take to resolve the issue including how you would follow the appropriate protocols, your understanding of the ethical and legal responsibilities involved, as well as the potential limitations. These aspects are outlined in your textbook and required reading.
- Develop a 2 pages paper that informs the population of what will be done to resolve the issue. Address these elements in your paper
- Describe the nature of the situation.
- Explain what FEMA and others are doing to mitigate the situation.
- Explain what people need to do to stay safe and/or to get help in order to reduce panic.
Questions to think about while formulating your response to the public:
- Emphasize order of operations. What are the issues you will address first?
- Which organization is responsible for what? Where will you allocate your resources?
- How will you delegate responsibility? How will you coordinate with state, local and federal agencies?
- How does communication and information flow?
- How have you prepared for these types of emergencies? How will you respond to these disasters? What will the recovery look like?
- What public health concerns are the results of each of these events?
- Which populations might be most at risk?
- What are some of the long-term health effects of these events?
- What other health concerns may arise from these events?
- What will you say to the people, who are desperately awaiting your direction?
- Include an organizational diagram of the response plan for the disaster including:
- A description of the roles and responsibilities of each organization in the response team
- The flow of communication between these organizations